Christa is running for Charlottesville City School Board because she wants to make it easier for all parents and guardians to advocate for their children. Christa believes that every family, regardless of race, education, or economic status, should be able to get the help their child needs to succeed in school. Listen to her talk more about that here.
As a school board member, Christa’s additional priorities for Charlottesville City Schools will be:
- Investing in preschool
- Preparing students for college and job opportunities
- Leveraging community resources to support students
- Equipping teachers with the resources they need to do their jobs, including competitive pay and benefits
- Supporting the health and wellbeing of children in schools
- Protecting students, teachers, and school staff during the pandemic and rebuilding after, with recognition of how the pandemic has exacerbated inequities in our community and beyond
- Understanding education as justice for children
Christa will view every choice she has to make as a school board member through the lens of what will best support racial and social justice. She is committed to following Black leaders, Latinx leaders, and other activists of color, in efforts to reach equity in our schools and community.
Christa discussed her priorities during the Cville School Board Candidate Forum hosted by the Black Parent Association and CCS Joint PTO. Watch her responses on:
- Staffing Shortages
- Supporting Teachers and Staff
- Students’ Mental Health
- Working with Dr. Gurley
You can also watch her closing statement from the forum.